Start a new topic

Hire additional moderators?

It seems to me like the moderation team is severely understaffed for the size of the website in a way that's becoming unsustainable. Cohost has >10,000 users but only 4 mods who also have to work on other parts of the site full time and overtime to keep it alive and running. By comparison I am a mod on a 900 user discord server and it has 7 mods. I run an in-person community event that averages 30 attendees and about fifty people active in the community and we have 4 mods. I'm not sure what the golden ratio of users to mods is but I've been seeing the signs lately that cohost is falling short. Reports are being left unacted upon for very long periods of time and there's a lot of posts about users being reported and not acted on for well over the "give them a few days and don't count weekends" grace period I think is reasonable. Overworking a very small number of mods also pushes that burnout creep that makes it more likely for people to make poor decisions. Of course cohost doesn't have the funding to hire a fifth person. Discord servers can just have 7 mods because they're all volunteers. They can be volunteers because it's easier to moderate 1000 person discord server than a 10,000 user website with posts and comments and tags going on. It's also clear that while mods absolutely deserve weekends, having no staff active as mods on weekends isn't working very well since weekends are when users are the most active. I don't have a perfect proposal or solution myself but I'm identifying a system level problem that is emerging. Maybe one solution would be to hire a part-time moderator who works Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday and their only job is to handle moderation reports? They aren't also a developer or working on the site in other ways? Or maybe even trying to find a way to take on some volunteer Assistant Mods who organize reports over the weekend with suggested actions and staff on Monday go "we concur" and click the button? And as Compensation they get free cohost plus and artist alley posts I don't know. At my job we are chronically short staffed and the result is people get really upset with our poor customer service and I often will end up being far more blunt and less compassionate with my patrons because there's too many of them give each one the care and attention they deserve. When we got more staff this problem was alleviated and it was easier to be nice to people and take the time to listen to their needs. I wanted to raise the issue since I'm afraid we're going to have a user evaporation event where due to the moderation queue there's a lot of asshole users who should have been banned who scare off other users.

3 people like this idea
1 Comment

It's something I'm considering. We haven't really had a lack of bandwidth for reports and have been able to get to things within about a day even on weekends (rarely two if I'm exceptionally busy), a response time I consider reasonable for the size of the website. Having some extra eyes and opinions makes a big difference though.

Friday I was out grieving the loss of my cat - having coverage for big days when i don't have a choice but to be out is the biggest thing we could use help on. Backup in a sense.

Creating a system for volunteers is a huge undertaking, so nothing is going to get turned around instantly if we decide to pursue that. 

As of right now, we have a handful of reports from a few months ago open (that we're using as tracking tickets*) and 9 reports open from the last 24 hours. We're mostly on top of things, but I think it seems like we aren't sometimes when we just issue warnings or don't find anything actionable in a report. Some results that just aren't visible to a reporter. That's not to say every broken stair has been handled with perfection, or we don't miss things, but any issues we have don't come just from bandwidth. I think a policy of more transparency with reporters would go a long way.

* 3 months ago I implemented ticket trackers on our side, so we don't need open tickets for tracking purposes anymore. these old reports can be cleared out at this point.

4 people like this
Login or Signup to post a comment