Start a new topic

Suggestion Volunteer Moderation

Loving this website! As it hopefully increases in userbase though I was wondering if you've put any thought into crowdsourcing moderation at all? I'm going to pull reference from a website that truly does not have good moderation anymore but as someone who used to use it ages ago can attest to how well its volunteer model used to work when the people appointing moderators werent all literal fascists. 4chan. 4chans moderation systems has always been a small group of volunteer moderators who were hand picked from the specific boards (in your case I suppose it would be popular tags) who have wider user banning capabilities. then a larger group of "janitors" who volunteer to work under the volunteer moderators who's control is specifically deleting posts that violate website rules and if they see fit sending up a ban request to the volunteer moderators to review. this I feel allows a lot of nuance in terms of strictly what content gets moderated, reddit has a similar system from what I've always heard but with less connectedness, whereas reddit has tons of main moderators for each page 4chan has always had a very small amount of main moderators then a larger net of basically lesser moderators which has worked well for years in the more liberal "blue" boards that have their own strict rules about what can be posted. I wish that kind of moderation still existed on the site because its truly unusable now which is why I had moved to tumblr which has always had much worse moderation but it was at least easier to avoid the more heinous and racist content on there just by how it was structured. Not asking for this system whole cloth I suppose but I thought I'd share details on how a old internet website run by one guy with a stupid amount of users used to manage moderation to see if it'd be of interest adopting some of its traits.

1 person likes this idea
Login or Signup to post a comment