Start a new topic

Cohost deletes posts in progress when it goes down!

when cohost experiences one of its 503 fits it can completely wipe the screen and delete everything in it, including a post you are actively typing in!

this is extremely frustrating!

1 person has this problem

Hey qim,

there isn't a lot we can do to fix this, unfortunately. We're doing all we can to reduce downtime and the impact of said downtime, but some things are a bit out of our control. If you're working on a large post, we highly highly highly suggest writing it in a word processor of your choosing so you can save your progress.

hi kara,

i was frustrated and perhaps i did not explain the issue properly

it is happening because the client code (browser-side) code is checking for a response from the server and then replacing the inner contents of the `<div id="app">` element

instead the javascript needs to check the server response and only perform the replacement if it receives a 200 http status code plus the contents of the evaluated payload must be valid and not empty

i do not know the ins and outs of the Cohost frontend in particular, but i have enough experience using websites to know that this is not normal behavior, plus a long career in web development

this is orthogonal to the server-side issues, i understand that completely - while i have done my share of frontend work, my primary expertise is backend architecture (services, queuing systems, databases, etc)

if there is anything i can do to help with either, please let me know!

1 person likes this
Login or Signup to post a comment