Start a new topic

Show true date/time on posts

A thing I hate about the modern internet is that is that they erase all real time stamping of posts and reduce it to like x units of time ago. This isn't such a big deal within a day or perhaps even a month, but once you go further it begins to completely obscure when stuff was posted.

Everything in a month is condensed to "x months ago." Everything in a year is condensed to "x years ago." You have no real idea of when it was posted other than "it's old."

I would prefer, and suggest, that true timestamps be shown when you click a post, such as thru the time it was posted or hitting the comments section. If privacy is an issue, then perhaps time isn't as important, but date matters. I think this may not be as evident to younger users, but when you've been around for decades and you're looking back, it sucks to have no real litmus for when something was posted other than "2017."

1 person likes this idea
1 Comment

Just an addendum, but I ran into this attempting to determine which variations of a given tag are most active. I wanted a large sample size to smooth out spikes and dips in activity, but I realized the effective was sabotaged by all posts reading "1 month ago." So I can't get the sample size I preferred because cohost does not offer granular enough date/time info.

Login or Signup to post a comment