Start a new topic

some tags cause the bookmarked tags page to timeout

i feel like this bug is significantly different than the previous thread from 9 months ago about the bookmarked tags page timing out midway.

steps to reproduce:
1. add a tag that returns no posts to your bookmarked tags (e.g. #rymin) (someday i will find other trainshow people on this site)

2. try to load the bookmarked tags page, it will first byte timeout

3. remove that tag, now add a tag with a hyphen in it (e.g. #min-gi park) (this tag does have posts!)

4. try to load the bookmarked tags page, it will also first byte timeout

there might be more examples, who knows!!

2 people have this problem

ah, i couldn't tell what the factors were that were making it happen but i've been dealing with first byte timeouts on the bookmarked tags feed for weeks on one page and the last few days on another. there's gotta be something other than what you listed here at play too, cause  on the one page whose bookmarked feed wouldn't load for the last over-a-month, none of the tags i had bookmarked had hyphens or didn't return posts, and deleting the ones on the other page that did have hyphens or not return posts didn't affect anything.

on that first page, i just have six tags bookmarked, but on the other page page, i followed ~35 tags (before dropping a couple hyphenated ones and one that returned no posts) in a list that hasn't changed for months and it only started having issues this week. if anyone has any leads on this, please do share, as i am not coping well with my tags feeds not working <3

I noticed this a few months ago now. I should have made a bug report. It was after some changes to the way the feed loaded were announced, I think. I've got several blogs to test this on, here's what I've observed: * Blog A: My main, with hundreds of tags bookmarked, including ones that nobody uses and ones that contain hyphens. So lots of the tags are very obscure, but many of them are quite popular. This has never had an issue, it always loads. * Blog B: Lots of tags bookmarked, but less than A. They're all fairly unpopular, when it worked there'd be maybe two new posts maximum per day. This one has been broken the longest. When I first noticed it I assumed that there was a cursed tag, but after removing them all one by one, it never fixed itself. * Blog C: No tags bookmarked. It loads fine with the message about bookmarking tags. I used this for testing: I added just #cohost corner to it, and it starts timing out. * Blog D: Similar to B except it worked for broke a few weeks after that one. * Blog E: This is the most interesting one imo. Since the 18+ toggle was added, this only loads when 18+ posts are allowed. When they're not, it gets a first byte timeout. Basically I think the issue must be related to the popularity of the tags. Like, if it has to go too far back to find posts, it'll flop. Testing it some more, if I try bookmarking just something like #song of today which has exactly one post per day, it loads. If I change the timestamp in the url to go back in time on blog B: it loads when the tags were busier, and it loads when there were only two posts in the tags, but not in (for example) last November.
Login or Signup to post a comment