Start a new topic

Alt text help within post composer

Wanted to make a feature request for general assistance within the post composer, but someone has essentially done so here: https://help.antisoftware.club/support/discussions/topics/62000183234. So I'll just talk about one specific thing in the event "Posting Tips" within the editor becomes a feature.

There's been talk around alt text; from reminders to add it, to the box being too small, to people "incorrectly" using it as a caption box (is this true?).

I haven't seen any guides on the application of alt text, and I'm talking specifically on the website itself (not from users). When the alt text box is labelled "description" and there's nothing in the Community Guidelines or the Markdown Reference about it (please correct me if I'm wrong), this feature will continue to go underutilised.

What I'm asking for is a tooltip in the post composer that provides help with using alt text, such as:
  • An overview of what it's used for.
  • How to type an alt text description, with examples.
  • Improper use of image descriptions.

You can call me lazy and say "Oh just Google it". That would only address one user. Having a visible feature like this would reach all users.

6 people like this idea
Login or Signup to post a comment