Start a new topic
Implemented

uploading mp3s to cohost/native audio posts

to put it in simple terms, it would be awesome if i could upload an mp3 (with a 10mb limit, similar to images) and cohost has some sort of native player (preferably a floaty one so people can play while they browse, similar to how tumblr or soundcloud have it). i've attached a rough mockup of what i imagine that looks like (though, not as ugly as my terrible mockup ofcourse LOL).

this is similar, but in addition/reference to this topic: https://help.antisoftware.club/support/discussions/topics/62000183100

i looked back on that post, and realized it's missing the bit about native audio posting. i think having to use the embed stuff feels a bit bad, especially for new users who haven't yet clicked the "allow media from this source" buttons for most common services. it also sends the message that cohost is not really meant for these types of posts, which i don't think is intentional or even really the case. but i also imagine implementing a floaty player is easier for "local" files? correct me if i'm wrong...

(also i would love a media tab!)

62 people like this idea

made a co-host account just to co-sign this. the lack of native audio embeds, especially with the lack of volume control on sc and bc embeds, is maddening.

Very happy to see this moving forward!

One thing I'd appreciate on top of the player being persistent through scrolling is for it to also persist between pages, i.e. when clicking through to someone's profile or to reshare a post! An unbroken listening experience throughout the entire website would be incredible.

2 people like this

I have one suggestion, which shouldn't be much harder to implement  once you get mp3's working, add support for ogg vorbis too, it is a free format and it has a better size to quality ratio than mp3 allowing everyone to use the server space more efficiently

2 people like this

yes support for ogg vorbis would be awesome! if i wanted to be greedy i'd also love to see FLAC support for higher quality uploads of short tracks, especially with chiptune stuff the compression gets very noticable

to add, i think it would be nice to extend this to also support the AAC format (in an MP4 container (“.m4a”)) since it’s a more modern, better-compression format than MP3, but is also basically universally supported. flac and ogg formats don’t have full cross-platform support…unless cohost transcodes those files server-side, they wouldn’t work on e.g. iphones

I would looooooove this 

might be worth marking this as done?

I don't think it's really done yet. Obviously the native support is HUGELY appreciated, but there's no volume control or floating player, which were key parts of this request imo.

2 people like this
Login or Signup to post a comment