Start a new topic

Improve Screen Reader Experience

i dont use screen readers very often…but i think the screen reader experience could be nicer on cohost than it is right now. i’ve only used VoiceOver with this website, but some of this should translate to other screen readers as well…

• posts and comments are currently just an “article.” adding an aria-label with a description of the post (who posted it, its contents, etc.) would be very nice for skimming
  • voiceover-specific: for hierarchical navigation, post headers and footers could be assigned role="group" (or similar…?) with an aria-label summary (and the <hr> elements should probably be hidden?). that way they could be skipped as one unit instead of having to go through every element inside. similarly, profile pages currently require skipping through every line of the profile sidebar before getting to the posts
  • the sidebars on the right (pinned tags on profiles, notification filters) would be more easily accessible with role="complementary", which allows skipping to them directly using landmarks
  • i believe the navigation sidebar should be role="navigation" instead of role="menu"
  • umm probably more but these are the superficial things that stood out right now i think

13 people like this idea
1 Comment

+100 these are super quick and easy fixes that make a huge different imho. when I had a health issue that made me need a screen reader for a month shit like this was such a huge QoL improvement that's hard for sighted users to, well, see, without experiencing it themselves 

2 people like this
Login or Signup to post a comment