just leave a comment on a post to ask about tags.
specifically, no because
- other users should not be involved in the tag suggestion either as participants or peanut gallery. me asking "hey could you please CW this post with coulrophobia?" just creates a space for randos to apply social pressure to either me or the person i'm speaking to and turn the interaction from innocuous to contentious very quickly
- the history of the suggestion and its addition or non-addition is visible to other users, and it shouldn't be for similar reasons to the above
- the comment is inherently not relevant to anyone other than me and the original poster, so it would clutter up the site
I would like to be able to suggest tags for other users posts, and v/v. this is a useful feature in a number of ways, many of which relate to the overal functioning of tag and cw blocklists. the feature becomes more powerful if it does not require universal compliance from every user, so outsourcing some of the tagging to the community is helpful to everyone
1: for content that is objectionable to a small part of a website's audience, this feature removes the burden for everyone to tag every post with every tag or cw that may be relevant to anyone (i.e. cw: food) and allows that part of the community to craft their own experience on the website without requiring everyone else to cooperate
2: for tags that are multiply-defined (i.e. pairing tags like m/f, male/female, hetero, or fandom tags with multiple relevant versions) this allows the community to somewhat democratically come to a decision about what tags to use and where to group posts
3: in general, the ability to tag posts makes blacklists based on tags/cws more useful for both me and for others who share blacklisted tags with me
4: its also fun and silly to suggest tags for friends' posts
in my view, the feature would look like this:
On my end:
- I can set a profile-wide setting for who can suggest tags on my posts (nobody, people i follow, everybody)
- On individual posts, I can change this setting
On a reader's end:
- On the tags for the post, there is an icon similar to the "add tag" icon when making a post. I can suggest tags here.
- Additionally, any time I rechost a post, I may have the option to suggest any new tags that I applied to the share.
- if a user has blocked me, or blocked tag suggestions on the post, I should not be able to suggest tags
Back on my end:
- I recieve a notification for posts with suggested tags
- I can accept or reject each suggestion, and if I reject a suggestion I have the additional option to stop this user from suggesting further tags on my profile or block the user outright.
2 people like this idea