Start a new topic

Non-(newer first/older last)chronological timeline support

I think "newer first/older last" timelines (while easier to implement) isn’t the best choice for people who do not check their timeline several times a day or follow many people, in a UX point of vue.

To fix that for people who want some sort of non-chronological timeline option, to start with, I think an API endpoint would be needed to either:

• store where the user was last on their timeline
  • or (and in my opinion is a better solution), store which posts the user have seen/read

Optionally, some more endpoints could be added to:

• remove some posts from the set of posts seen/read

With this, any future clients, user scripts or the current web UI (if you want to integrate that as a builtin feature) would be able to implement a large choice of algorithms:

• With this feature request, clients would be able to put your close friends first for instance (or any lists if a more general feature is added in the future)
  • Older first/newer last chronological timeline, which to me is a much enjoyable default
  • even random ordering for users who check their timeline very rarely for instance
  • order the the most shared posts in your timeline first
  • deduplicate shared posts that you’ve already seen
  • a combination of the above. The sky is the limit ^^

Some more thoughts about this on this post: https://cohost.org/kit-ty-kate/post/461263-random-thought-out-o

6 people like this idea
1 Comment

100% agree! sometimes i have a few free minutes or an unknown length of time and want to check cohost, but know i'm unlikely to get caught up on the day's posts so i can't. reading the past 4 hours but then leaving the X intervening hours between that and the last time i was up to date unread stresses me out :[ really wish we had chronplogicsl feeds. even a manual "this is how far i got in the feed" button/bookmark/indicator would be good, though i'm not sure how that could be implemented without being clunky as hell

1 person likes this
Login or Signup to post a comment