Start a new topic

Popularity indicator for tags

Someone trying to choose between a mess of similar tags for their posts might find it helpful to see which ones are the most popular. Currently they're sorted by popularity in the autocomplete, but there's no way to directly compare two tags that are spelled differently to see whether people actually use them or not.  

If numbers are disfavored here, a visual indicator (colors or shades, or patterns, or motion?) might serve the same purpose. maybe a tag could wiggle if it's popping off

55 people like this idea

Tag wrangling might be an interesting community initiative. "Mashup" vs "Mashups" is a problem I run into constantly, it seems they're both equally popular

2 people like this

I entered into this suggestion not even knowing that tags were sorted by popularity (I guessed that *might* be the case? but...) so honestly I think even a visual indicator that that's the case would be handy!

2 people like this
I feel strongly about this especially now that there are several versions of the global feed tag. Here are my suggestions: • tags sorted by popularity, as OP mentioned. • ability to search tags + similar tags: so if you search "pixel art" you have to option to also browse "pixel art," "pixel artist," etc. • report similar tags: users submit two or more tags they think are synonymous and moderation could either combine or link them. Overall, I appreciate, respect, and don't want to lose the spirit of tag freedom that comes with deliberately tagging something "the chosty globbo feed" as a joke and not have it cycle into the actual feed if you didn't want that. That said, it's frustrating either spamming slight variations of the same tag or doing research on each tag you think you might use, just so you don't accidentally use a ghost town tag that only exists because someone else made a mistake and now it's saved in the suggested list.

3 people like this

Yeah, if I'm trying to get people to see my work and I don't know if people will look at "artist on cohost" or "artistsoncohost" or what have you it can be frustrating. Maybe something with font weights?

Login or Signup to post a comment