Start a new topic

Accessibility tips in the post composer

There are a lot of things you can do in a cohost post that are inaccessible to some subset of users, but not everyone is aware of them, and there's no guarantee that an accessibility PSA written by a well-connected user will actually get to everyone's eyeballs.

I had a thought earlier today about a way of providing accessibility tips to post authors as subtle nudges in the right direction. There's Twitter's alt-text reminder, and that would be good to replicate too (although I'd vote for increasing the size of the alt text input to come first (could have sworn this had a forum thread but can't find it now)); but things like detecting if a user is using CSS animations and nudging them to put it behind a CW or something, or detecting character look-alikes that screenreaders don't read and offering alternatives (i.e. font-family CSS).

A particularly intrepid implementation could cast our friend eggbug as cohost's mascot and accessibility coach, complete with Clippy-style dialog boxes. Further research is required.

25 people like this idea

You could implement this alongside having the css tips menu open within the post composer somehow instead of being a new page in order to make the post editor itself feel more accessible to people who don't yet know all the features

I agree this is a great idea, i definitely would like this

Eggbug-as-clippy could also help provide hints on aspects of the markdown that are often confusing to new users, like putting two spaces at the end of a line to make a linebreak or how exactly one turns a horizontal rule into a readmore. Though admittedly it is probably an extremely goofy way to solve that problem.

2 people like this

It looks like you're cascading a lot of  styles. Want help making it accessible?

7 people like this
Login or Signup to post a comment