Start a new topic

Better dark mode

The current dark mode doesn't extend to actual posts which still maintain a white background. As a user with eye conditions that make them light sensitive, this can worsen light-induced pain and even be the cause. This causes problems especially on mobile where posts take up the entire screen as you scroll.

160 people like this idea

Crucial accessibility feature, hopefully the team prioritizes this

4 people like this

the toggle feature is a thing i want (or more elaborate theme selection), but what I'm scared about is that the current look of my blogs will change with "better dark mode" and I'm not interested in that, I'm not saying it shouldn't be done, but there should be an option to use the current look as well if wanted, that's all

edit: my browser doesn't have light mode/dark mode, only custom themes. anyway, that's not what I was looking for anyway, I want an option to preserve the current look and that's all

edit2: sorry for my clunky expression, this literally triggered me a panic reaction

Currently if you want to use light mode you need to change your browser settings to light mode. Though the option to toggle between light and dark mode in the co-host settings would also be a nice addition. Hope this helps you out Catonium. I am gonna ask that for asking about a toggle feature, you find a different post about a toggle feature to reply to as this one is specifically for asking for accessibility improvements to the already existing dark mode

I can't even recreate the original theme with the custom theme addon, it's literally impossible.

Please let us select between dark mode, light mode, and the current style (which is apparently "dark mode"? i'm not sure, but anyway, i've grown to like it a lot). Please. I don't want my blogs to suddenly look totally different.

How can I preserve the current look of my blogs if "better dark mode" gets added? I don't want my posts to have black backgrounds suddenly. I want the black background / white posts / parchment elemtents / red sidebar style. I don't even know how to switch between light mode and dark mode.

Posting here to bump up this request but also hoping that a proper dark mode is implemented. 

I love what the devs have been able to do with the site but would also greatly appreciate a proper dark mode implemented. There's a lot of other features I want polished too but I would love to have this one implemented a little sooner if possible! My strained eyesight would definitely appreciate it ! 

I know there are ways to get a dark mode on desktop but i like looking at cohost on my phone when im out and about so it would be very nice to have one without relying on outside tools!

1 person likes this

we've been using cohost for over 9 months now, and only learnt a week or so ago that we've been on "dark mode" the entire time. while not an explicit accessibility need for us, adding this would improve our user experience a good chunk too (particularly while on phone), and as mentioned by others, would improve the accessibility of cohost greatly.

1 person likes this

Bumping this request.

I would love a proper dark mode because bright screens risk giving me a migraine. I'm sure I'm not the only one! It's an important accessibility issue

3 people like this
Agree, this would be a good one to bring up the list

1 person likes this

Having a good actual dark mode that eliminates most of the bright colors would be pretty nice, if only to just have more options for viewing. As Arachnixe said getting a quick-and-dirty fix in would go a long way.

3 people like this
I consider this to be a critical accessibility feature, and I want to urge prioritizing this work for those of us who need it. Regardless of whether it ruins the rare post that relies on having a light background, that's a much less pressing concern. Having a quick and dirty solution that works on 95% of posts today is better than a perfect solution that won't be ready until next year.

20 people like this

There's a dark mode?!

1 person likes this

I feel that one reason to not have a full dark mode is the fact that some posts rely on the bright background for their effects.

I suggest adding a "suggest bright background" option to posts and allow folks to set a preference to "always"/"never"/"ask" to use the bright background.

3 people like this

i'll never understand why anyone would think "i'm making a dark mode for my website. posts should have bright white backgrounds, right?"

6 people like this