Start a new topic
Not Taken

"follows you" annotation

A marker next to an account's name if they follow you would be nice. Currently you will get notified if someone follows you, or you can look through your follower list, but that's not necessarily at hand when you're just browsing.

34 people like this idea

hm apparently like 4 comments were added while I was typing that dskdsjkl

I have 2 small things to add, having read them:

1. I sincerely hope this doesn't come across as insulting or anything but the "breaking mutuals" thing seems far more of a cultural issue than a technical one. I think designing things a certain way might might encourage or discourage it but not fundamentally cause it, and I think a following indicator isn't something that encourages it - it just discourages it less, which might feel the same if you're already used to communities where this dynamic is the norm.
  2. That being said, this is ultimately not that important of a feature to me. I think it would be nice to have and ultimately benign, but if others are strongly against it I'd rather defer to their opinion

2 people like this

To speak to the anti-harassment argument, it's not about whether or not a single account follows you, rather it's about heuristics. For instance, a lot of people in your notifications who aren't followers can indicate that a post of yours, or even your entire account is having people pointed to it from elsewhere. In larger accounts where you might not be familiar with all of your followers, knowing if the accounts interacting with you are your followers or not can be important information.

2 people like this

I am retreating slightly on my earlier position on this - it would be nice to have some kind of easier way to check if any given user follows you, or just the ability to show all of one's followers in a list. I just tried to do this and spent four minutes and twenty five seconds holding the end key and clicking load more.

Might make a separate feature request for a happy medium here, actually

1 person likes this

I'm in favour of this feature but yeah I'm not sure I really buy the "monitor risk of harassment" thing. To me it's just a passive way of knowing if you have any connection to another user. I've actually wished I had this or something like it on tumblr before - sometimes I see a post with a username or icon I think I recognize and don't have a good way to check if it's because I've seen them in my notes or something else.

I'm honestly a little surprised to see so many people vehemently against this. I'm not going to try to argue because idk if there's anything I could say that's going to change anyone's mind, but to me it just doesn't seem like a big enough piece of info to fall into clout chasing territory? like I know that there is some number of people that follow me. if I check someone's profile and I see that they're one of them, all that tells me is... well, that this specific person is one of them. it doesn't tell me how many followers I have or anything like that.

I guess the one scenario I could imagine is if you have a friend or something whose page you check regularly, you might notice if they unfollowed you. but then that's less a question of clout-chasing and more a question of interpersonal conflict. I do sympathize with that though, and I think there should be ways to avoid that kind of conflict if you're so inclined. It seems to me though that a better resolution is to mute them without unfollowing though? Maybe I'm missing something though

Login or Signup to post a comment