Start a new topic
Not Taken

Implement private chosts / direct messaging

I'm not really picky on how this is implemented but not having any sort of private/direct posting option on cohost seems like a glaring omission. All I want is something that will let me send my Discord information to someone if I have to.

22 people like this idea

Not having direct messages is a deliberate decision, and one we will be unlikely to be changing any time soon, if ever. We do not want to run a messaging system for a variety of reasons and do not think we would do as well as existing platforms. We're going to add ways to make it easier to share how people can contact you off site.

19 people like this

i'm a bit surprised nobody has mentioned this:

admittedly, it's a bit weird... but if you save a post as a draft, you can send it to people by giving them the direct link to it.

though if your intent is to send it to a particular user directly through cohost, well... i'm not sure if/how you could do that. but this gets halfway there, at least.

3 people like this

as a recent signup (signee?) of co-host i'll say this is the main feature absence that is stopping me from really loving the site as much as i want to - i love chatting with people one to one in private convos/group chats with friends and it's really not convenient at all to have to link to another platform (eg. discord) to message off-site, particularly when certain people don't have their other socials connected, or might not even have those socials at all. sure, messaging has its problems, but to me it feels like it's a common staple of basically every platform for a good reason. just my two cents.

I'm here nor there on having some kind of instant messaging system but I do think a site like this needs SOME way to send private information to someone without publicly broadcasting their discord account or something. Even if it's just so much as a contacts card like was mentioned before. There's just some information that's not safe to post publicly and if cohost is your only contact with someone that can make things really difficult. 

1 person likes this

the new feature with the contact info list solves that problem – you can put your discord info there and make it only visible to people you follow, for example. It's on the edit profile menu.

^ you can also use the new ask box system, assuming the person you're sending stuff to decides to enable it.

Neither is a great solution. The former is incredibly bad because I don't know about you but a lot of the people I follow are complete strangers, I don't necessarily want to share that information with them. Just because I follow someone doesn't mean I trust them enough to give private contact details. It just means I like their posts.

The ask box system is better, but rather hacky and obviously not the intended design of the feature. A proper feature would be ideal. 

1 person likes this

This shit sucks. If I want to become friends with someone here, my options are A. go to tumblr, B. dox my discord or C. get fucked.

I disagree with that Katie. You can control who sees your contact info in the contact section of your sidebar so that only mutuals can see it, if you prefer. I know people who have set up burner e-mails for Cohost. I would also encourage you to get Telegram for this purpose

What if I want to share that contact with only one person? And, using another middleman site just complicates things further. Now I would have to share my telegram first. That doesn't fix anything.

Well, there is a solution. You already use email and Telegram is a great service. Cohost is being developed and run by like, four people, who have decided that DMs are hard to moderate, pose legal issues, and take too much development time that could go to other things. Maybe in the future contact sharing can be run on custom whitelists. The site is young and small. Pillowfort I believe has DMs.
Login or Signup to post a comment