We work pretty hard to make cohost great, but we're not alone in that goal. A number of talented developers create their own scripts, extensions, and tools for cohost that could improve your experience. Here we've compiled a small showcase of some of our favorite ones.
Using third party tools that interact with cohost presents some amount of risk. At the time of compiling this list we have no reason to believe that the authors are doing anything malicious, but since we aren't maintaining this software, we can't make any promises that this will remain true or that the software will continue to work. Please ensure that you trust the author of anything you use. Be extremely cautious!
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Web Tools
- Userscript Setup
- Tools for Developers
- I made something cool, I want to be on this page!
Don't need to edit cohost directly? Just need to format a cool post? These websites have your back.
- MarkdownPLUS by @oatmealine - Take advantage of cohost's robust post rendering to use a variety of text effects, no HTML or CSS knowledge needed
- Inline details generator by @YellowAfterlife - Create clickable buttons in your post that expand to display extra text. Great for long and detailed posts!
- Inline gallery generator by @YellowAfterlife - Create a gallery of images you can click through
- Image grid generator by @nex3 - Create a grid of clickable images
- Backloggd formatter by @nex3 - Format a backloggd review for cohost
- Letterboxd formatter by @nex3 - Format a letterboxd review for cohost
- Cohoard by @a2aaron and @porglezomp - Format chat logs and text in a variety of formats, like Discord, Twitter, or Undertale text boxes
- Syntax highlighter by @nex3 - Add syntax highlighting to your posts containing code
- Prechoster by @blep - For advanced users - A tool for creating very complex posts using standard web development tools
The main way in which you can modify cohost directly is through the use of a userscript. A userscript is a piece of code that runs every time you load a cohost page. In order to facilitate this, you'll need to install an extension to your web browser to run said code. We recommend Tampermonkey. You'll need to install this extension to your browser to use any of the following userscripts.
Note that we only recommend userscripts for more advanced users. If you're not really sure what you're doing, we'd suggest steering clear! Lastly, we cannot provide support with userscripts. If something breaks, please turn off your userscripts, update them, or contact the author of the script. If the issue persists with userscripts off, contact us for support.
To use the following userscripts, you'll need to install them to your userscript extension. A brief overview of how to do so can be found here.
- Collapsible posts, by @YellowAfterlife - Collapse entire posts down to only the header to quickly skip by them
- Popover notifications by @blep - change the behavior of the notifications button, creating a popover the keeps you on the current page
- Hide shares by @wowperfect, @mintexists, and @easrng - Adds a checkbox to hide shares from your home timeline
- Infinite scroll by @wowperfect, @mintexists, and @easrng - Pagination be gone, scroll forever, never leave!
- Comments in feed by @cefqrn - See comments on a post right in your feed
- Timeline Deduplicator by @nex3 - Remove duplicate posts from your home timeline
- Cohost theme customizer by @kiophen - Use several new premade themes for cohost or create your own
- Cohost tweaks by @kiophen - Choose between a variety of small visual tweaks, such as making the sidebar scroll with the page
- Cohost97 by @hellgnoll - Give Cohost that proper retro feel
Extensions are self contained applications you install right into your web browser that can change how a website looks, feels, or acts.
- Tag groups by @amypercent - Configure groups of tags to add to a post all at the same time
Tools for Developers
Cohost does not currently have an API (we're working on it), but some developers have created wrappers for interacting with cohost's "unofficial API"
Please note that these can break at any moment.
- Eggbug-rs by @illana - Rust wrapper for unofficial API
- Cohost-py by @vallerie - Python wrapper for unofficial API
I made something cool, I want to be on this page!
This page is a living document and is updated on the regular. If your creation is already on this page and you need something fixed, updated, or removed, contact support
If you've made something new and want it to be considered for inclusion, check out this post and comment following the instructions. Not everything will be included on this page, but we will consider anything you send to us for inclusion!
If you use any of these tools and are having an issue with that tool, please contact the author.