Start a new topic
Solved

seems like cohost is guzzling my CPU after the modal update, at least on Safari

using the site on mac safari and ios safari is super laggy now, and peeking in activity monitor shows it's consuming 100%+ of CPU when i scroll. typing in any text field has like a quarter of a second of lag on both my phone and pc on multiple Pages and multiple pages. haven't noticed this before today. i turned off my userscripts/adblock and got the same behavior so i dont think that's it. can't check any other browsers right now though

9 people have this problem

Yeah, ^ marking as unsolved because the tagging experience is pretty unusable right now. See attached 45 second video where i try to tag something as "Tesseract" and where i am, i promise, not being purposefully slow in the slightest. https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/2dkgm7zh06esvxlohhwi0/tag-editing-on-safari.mov?rlkey=8n8y1jmk1pzxonsvc0jo2riop&dl=0

1 person likes this

Yes, I have cohost plus and always have.

1 person likes this

This issue remains in effect for me, and is a significant issue. I've worked around it somewhat by disabling the post/repost pop-ups in settings, but I sorely miss having those functions, and would prefer to just have my damn CPU time back.

Having to wait a countable number of seconds to close an expanded image preview is very frustrating. My computer is by no means slow, it seems very clear there's some kind of leak being triggered by cohost's code here.

I know there's a sea of things to work on but this is a significant drain on my enjoyment of the website, and I sincerely hope the time can be found to address it soon.

1 person likes this

I'm having issues when:

• Tagging
  • Working with uploaded images
  • Working with large amounts of text

The issue is worse in the inline editor, but now pervades the standalone editor as well.

It's to the point even just rechosting an image to a different account is unpleasant as it takes up to a couple seconds for the account dropdown to appear. Working with large posts or posts with a lot of CSS+HTML is also no longer possible, forcing text to be generated by an outside source first then pasted into the editor for final preview. Tagging frequently hangs or lags out, sometimes completing tags early or not at all.

It has lagged the entirety of iPadOS at one point for me when working with a Base64 image in text. The keyboard stopped accepting input and the only thing I could do to remediate was close the app.

It is borderline unusable.

Having the same problem, share modal is unusably slow on mobile Safari, I'm running a 1st-gen iPad Pro.

Curious, but what version of macOS or iOS & Safari did this start happening to everyone? For me it was Safari 16.x on macOS Ventura/iOS 16.x, but it persists through to Safari 17 on macOS Sonoma/iOS 17. People I've talked to who don't have the issue so far seem to be on Safari 15.x. I'm wondering if it's an issue with the newer versions of Safari.

Also seeing this on desktop Safari. Happens especially when tagging.

Sorry this one took so long to handle, but we believe it is now fixed. Please let us know if you're still seeing major performance issues or other bugs related to the post composer.

Working perfectly now. Thank you for saving my life!

Thank you so much, this is an enormous improvement, I really appreciate it!

I've been seeing slow performance on Safari as well, particularly when typing with the popover post composer. I'm using Safari 16 on Mac and whatever the latest on iOS is.

checking in on this. I basically can’t post from my iPad because the text entry lag is so bad. 

Just an addition that this doesn't happen on the Settings page at least. Followers page, it happens for a bit while 'loading more'.

Also, i should have mentioned, this is not happening with other sites on my devices – text entry & CPU usage for Tweetdeck, Youtube, Reddit to name a few, is totally normal.

this bug is making it very difficult to post from Safari on my mac as well. I've got an M1 and Safari can't keep up with whatever is going on.

Login or Signup to post a comment