Start a new topic
Implemented

option to paste images into new post window

I would like the ability to paste images from my clipboard into the cohost new post window, like we can on twitter, imgur etc. This would make composing posts faster, as I don't have to specifically save images to my PC before uploading.

98 people like this idea

This would be perfect to have! I never knew how much I missed having the ability to do this! I have to drag the screenshots I take into the post window since it won't let me paste it. it'd be great to just have that convenience again!

1 person likes this

This is my single biggest quality of life thing for chosting

5 people like this
I think this was already discussed by staff it’s really tricky because of the upload limits because what if you copy png that’s three million years big and they’re like oh shit can’t use that, probably an unnecessary feature

3 people like this

Please, please do this. Oh my god. Please.

2 people like this

[quote=I think this was already discussed by staff it’s really tricky because of the upload limits because what if you copy png that’s three million years big and they’re like oh shit can’t use that, probably an unnecessary feature[/quote]

Twitter will refuse a paste if the file size exceeds their limit, so it's definitely possible.

2 people like this

This is one of the most important quality of posting features imo

2 people like this

I frequently just draw something off the cuff in MS Paint or Clip Studio and post it as a gag. Not having to save every single thing would improve my life immensely here on Cohost.

It also makes Cohost the host of exclusive content that I didn't save to post anywhere else.

3 people like this

I'm going to make some enemies here and say that I think this is an anti-feature.

Basically, the clipboard is a terrible place for image data to exist. I know it makes the process buttery smooth to do but unless cohost decides to implement some automatic image processing (I sure fucking HOPE not) then you're usually posting some really horribly unoptimized image. at BEST it's a PNG, and in other cases it's a Tiff, or sometimes even just a raw uncompressed bitmap.

There's an effect you've observed out in the wild before where over time a post on a site like twitter just gets more and more artifacty every time it's reposted. This is because people copy the image to their clipboard and paste the image to their twitter window, and then somebody copies the copy. Twitter turns the PNG into a JPG, and then the user turns it back into a PNG, back and forth, until this ugly MOLD grows on the post.

If Windows, MacOS, Android, etc would change the way clipboards worked, I would have zero objections to this, but as it stands, I really advise against Cohost implementing this feature that everybody wants, and that I myself would use. Saving the image to your desktop as the proper filetype and then posting it is the moral equivalent of returning your shopping cart return station.

3 people like this

pulling up to say i miss this feature terribly when i use cohost!

1 person likes this

+1 to this request, would love to have this available

Definitely an ease of use feature that I miss. Also a low effort posting enabler.

regarding re-encoding: if it's necessary, perhaps show sizes, give options to the user. Let me decide if I want to wait for client-side re-encoding :)

+1 to this request

the artifacting of repeatedly saved and posted images is also considered by some folks, though not myself, to be a feature

but its def something i'd like for purposes of liveblogging things, which is one of my primary joys in the world

1 person likes this

@remeranAuthor All browsers have the ability to recompress images as PNG using the toDataURL method of a <canvas>, and I think some can support JPEG or at least WebP, so the bitmap/TIFF thing should be solvable without any server-side effort.

2 people like this

just +1 to this. it's maybe my most requested feature.

Login or Signup to post a comment